Saturday, July 31, 2010

so long...

Well, it has been a long time coming for this post...I think I've gotten to a point that I need to write so here goes...

I've been reflecting a lot lately...I am a thinker, reflector, yada yada, but summer usually brings back a flood of memories and time to debrief. I finished all of my coursework for grad school last week and only have student teaching to complete before graduating in December 2010. I can't believe it. I have said so many hellos and goodbyes in the past year.

Let's go back one year--I was sitting in the hospital with my sister in Atlanta, praying that we would make it home for my brother's wedding. I still can't believe all of that happened. I was preparing to say goodbye to home and friends and to say hello to Tennessee, old friends, and a new world of grad school.

In the past year, I have seen my brother become more of the man he is meant to be, support his wife in the loss of her mother; I have gained a sister-in-law that knows my heart more than most people; I have watched my sister take an amazing journey of faith that is real and breathing and full of discovery; I have walked alongside my parents to see true healing come after many years of hurt; I said goodbye to my granddaddy; I said hello to 27 around the same time; I have been embraced by a community of believers here that have supported me in amazing, tangible ways; I said hello to some of the dearest friends from all around the world that I will ever know; and I said goodbye to two of them which pretty much guarantees that I will be in Spain some time in the near future. And I am about to say goodbye to my roommate and hello to another one. I am full.

I am where I am. I am present here. Life is messy and complicated and simple and beautiful all at once. What a gift God has given me--to be present to people, no matter if we are together or miles away. That's what the Spirit does for us...always present if we only look and see...or stop and breathe. Loss and gain...love and struggle...it is all in his grasp.

Praise God for the mess. Thank you to those who have embraced mine and let me embrace yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment