Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Still, Yet Moving?

Take a minute and think about how many times people around you--at work, school, church, etc.--bring up news stories as topics of conversation.  For a while, I had no input because I had no television and didn't tune into what was happening.  Now, I listen to the news every morning...possibly to be able to converse with others about "hot topics."  Random side note...I also listen to sports radio...I know weird facts about sports now. 

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I was headed out of school with a fellow teacher.  He brought up the recent capsizing of the Italian cruise ship and was talking about the audacity of the actions of the captain.  I agreed with him that I couldn't believe that he would just leave the ship, his passengers, and his crew.  I would like to think that I would stay--that I would have enough gumption of character to do what I could to save people or go down trying.  But, as I thought about it, I realized that none of truly knows how we will react in times of crisis.  Yes, I have had times of great triumph over hardships, but I have also fallen flat on my face when faced with difficulty.  Peter told Jesus, "Never!  I could not deny you, Lord!"  And yet, we read that he denied knowing Jesus not once, but three times.  Thinking about it makes me abundantly thankful for grace....and it also challenges me to develop character that counts...that stands for what is right, that stands alongside the hurting, that feeds the hungry, that hugs the dirty...becoming more like Jesus in word and deed...that will make the difference.

The formerly mentioned teacher also started talking about cruises....and how much he LOVES cruises.  I've been on one...and refuse to go on another one.  He couldn't believe I didn't enjoy cruising...ha.  So, he tried to figure out why...asked me questions like "didn't you see any shows?"  "how about the food?" OR "didn't you just look at the ocean for hours?" 

My answers...."we saw a few shows...they were alright."  "the food was ok."  "I looked at the ocean for about an hour, it was amazing, and then I was ready to get off the boat and see something."  I don't like sitting on a boat and looking at the same people for days...I like to go, to do, to see and experience new things.  He huffed a little and said something like, "See, that's probably why you're not married...you go all the time!  No man can keep up with that!"  My jaw flew open...he laughed a little, but he was serious.  And I know he wasn't being mean...he really meant it.  I said, "Well, maybe I just need a man who will let me go."  He said, "There you go!  There is hope!"  Hahahahaha...we've figured it out!  :)

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment