This little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine?
Sometimes I wonder if who I am as a believer is conveyed to those around me.
I pray for bright eyes, for a soft heart,
for a spirit that speaks in spite of my too many words...
And yet, sometimes I question my witness,
The ways that I help God's kingdom come to earth.
A few days ago, I was with my last class of the day. Now, this class consists of two 5th grade girls, neither of which speaks much English. So, they were working on vocabulary worksheets with me and suddenly they broke into conversation, in Spanish of course. For a minute, I thought they were talking about a girl named Maria, but as I listened more closely, I realized that one was telling the other the entire story of Jesus Christ. The other girl asked question after question..."How could God and Jesus be the same?" "How could Mary have Jesus?" And time after time, the other answered with patience and amazing clarity.
I sat there, mouth open...and at one point I interjected a few statements in my best Spanish...ha. Then my heart swelled and my eyes welled up with tears. We serve a great, big God...God is much bigger than our worries, our fears, our everydayness...our "ability" to share...
And God is LIGHT...I shine because I belong to God...God is a God of ALL people and languages. Praise God for calling us as children, for shining in the midst of darkness around us AND within us.
No comments:
Post a Comment