So yes, this is a little late, but not too bad...I was asked to pray on Mother's Day...and no, I ain't no mama, but I do love mine. And I love the way that mamas all over have mothered me, and yes, how God has taught me to mother these children that aren't mine by birth, but that I claim anyway.
So...here is the prayer I prayed...for my mama especially, but also to all those who have loved on me.
God,
We come now to a time of passing plates.
On this day, when we celebrate mothers,
we reflect on the many plates that have been passed to us.
We remember the needs that our moms met,
The hurts they hugged away,
the softness of their touch,
The warmth of their embrace,
The ability to see us for who we really are and to love us anyway...
And we give thanks.
Thank you for moms
That walked by faith,
That sheltered us with prayer,
That pushed us to become who we are
That trusted you enough to fill our plates.
God, we recognize Jesus in our moms--
in the ability to touch, to heal, to host, to celebrate, to love in such a special way,
In truly knowing how to sacrifice for the sake of someone else.
As the plates are passed this day, let us, by faith, believe that you are able to fill them...
And help us to give in such a way
That fills someone else's plate,
That sacrifices for someone else
Like we have been sacrificed for.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment