Monday, December 21, 2015

Carols and Such


Yesterday was a day of carols!  In the morning, we took the children's choir around to Sunday Schools classes to bring a little Christmas cheer.  Not one kids cried or tried to hide..they all sang!  That's a miracle in itself!  Even Cora, who had never practiced or done this, sang her little heart out!  During "Silent Night" she made up her own words! Kids are amazing little creatures!

Then we took a caravan around 4:30 to several places, including Darby House (assisted living home), our pastor's house, and an elderly couple's home.  We had about thirty people running around.  I'm telling you, there's nothing like it in the world...when you look around and see your friends and their kids, most of whom I have taught these carols to over the years...and the tradition continues.  They need to know these songs, the story of Jesus...and they need to see service modeled by their parents and each other.  The kids always went to the front of the crowd to sing loudly.  They sang their little hearts out.  These are things that matter. This is joy.  This is love.

Bryan and Laura had a new picture in their house and it said "Home Sweet Home."  It was simple and warm.  And it reminded me that wherever we go, we create home.  When we entered the pastor's house, it became home.  When we sang to those older people, we made home for them.  Each time I embrace a friend, they are home to me.  As I held baby Dana last night, I was home to her.

Daddy asked me Friday if I was missing home...I said, "I miss y'all."  Home is ever moving and it is a state of mind and heart.  Chris and I have home.  Donna and Jerry make home for me every time they embrace me and each time I enter their house and sit with them.

The innkeeper provided home for Joseph and Mary.  Joseph and Mary were home to each other on that night.  Jesus makes it possible to dwell within us...Jesus is home within us...and that's what makes it possible for us to be home to each other.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment