I recently went back to Georgia for a quick visit that colleges like to call "Fall Break." Apparently, schools in California don't get this indulgence. Regardless, I appreciate our school's desire to celebrate this beautiful season. The leaves are changing and falling at the same time. I realized last week that I've been walking with my head down or straight ahead to whatever is directly in front of me. I haven't been looking around a whole lot lately. So, this past week I have tried to look around. The problem is, when I look around, I see what I don't want to see. I see need. I see things that I need to respond to. I also see beauty in nature and beauty in others. Yesterday morning I was walking to work and glanced over my shoulder to see a couple of tree lining the street that were the most brilliant color of orange. I think the sun was shining on them at that moment and they never looked so beautiful, even though they will change and have to go through the whole process again.
We must change. We must never be so content that we don't see the need in and around us. We need change and seasons to be reminded of all that was and all that is to come.
Fall break was great. I got to be in the Peanut Parade...you have no idea how many times I have told people that and they've said, "What is that?!" ha...they just don't know! I got to see teachers and students at the school, dear friends whose kids I love and who change too quickly, and my own wonderful family who let me relax and just sit with them. Bethany, Jamie, Melonie, and I all met up on my way back up to TN in Atlanta for lunch. Jamie has become Poppy--he brought us all apples from North Georgia. It was so great to just sit with these people God has connected me to so deeply...and it felt like we were grown up...my brother is married and none of our parents were there. Weird.
Ok...done here...more to come from the road trip that I'm about to embark upon!
No comments:
Post a Comment