Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Work of Christmas...

We had a lengthy rehearsal last night for our Christmas program that is quickly approaching.  We will end the program with this song...

For the next few days I'll focus on the aspects of the work of Christmas...

The Work of Christmas

“The Work of Christmas,” a poem by civil rights leader and theologian Dr. Howard Thurman, reminds us why we stand on the side of love throughout the year:
Dr. Howard Thurman was an influential author, philosopher, theologian, educator and civil rights leader. He was Dean of Theology and the chapels at Howard University and Boston University for more than two decades, wrote 20 books, and in 1944 helped found the first racially integrated, multicultural church in the United States.
Dr. Howard Thurman was an influential author, philosopher, theologian, educator and civil rights leader. He was Dean of Theology and the chapels at Howard University and Boston University for more than two decades, wrote 20 books, and in 1944 helped found the first racially integrated, multicultural church in the United States.
When the song of the angels is stilled,

When the star in the sky is gone,

When the kings and princes are home,

When the shepherds are back with their flock,

The work of Christmas begins:

To find the lost,

To heal the broken,

To feed the hungry,

To release the prisoner,

To rebuild the nations,

To bring peace among brothers,

To make music in the heart.




Nicki sang the solo for the first time last night and I'll admit it, I teared up.  Her voice cut through to my heart.  When everything is still and that still, small voice is left within our hearts, the real work begins.  We journey from just knowing the story, to actually living WHY Jesus came in the first place. See, it's not just that Jesus was once a baby and it's not just a nice story to tell once a year....it's work.  And the clarity of that call, that still, small voice, will cut you...if you let it, it will pierce your heart and change you forever, so that you have no other answer than a resounding yes, Lord, I will find the lost.  I will heal the broken.  I will feed the hungry.  I will release the prisoner.  I will rebuild nations.  I will bring peace among brothers.  I will make music in my heart and in this world...and I will do it in your name because I know that's the reason that you came in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment