Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Christmas/Birthday Memory...

Recently I asked someone, "Do you like Christmas?"  to which he replied, "Of course I like Christmas."  I mean, I try not to assume anything!  But, Christmas is pretty awesome...good memories for most people.  I am no different.  Christmas was a big deal (and still is) in my family.  Just about 30 years ago, I was born on Christmas morning.  Ask my mom and she will tell you really quickly that it wasn't very joyous...ha!  And since she will read this, sorry Mom for coming at a bad time!  I didn't know it was such a big day.  :)

We have some traditions in our family....we always eat crab stew on Christmas Eve with broccoli cornbread...we open gifts from siblings on Christmas Eve....we take turns opening presents on Christmas Day...and we have added a few over the fews...more sporadic traditions if you will...like eating Chinese food on the way to Florida because it's the only restaurant open...except for Waflle House, but that's not a good story.  We also have started going to the beach when we're in Florida.  Anyway, when I was younger, we usually went caroling as a family on Christmas Eve.  We would usually go to people from church, widows, older people, and just whoever my parents had on their hearts I guess.  I loved it and still do...

One Christmas Eve, when I was around 9 years old, we went out to a farm in the middle of nowhere Georgia.  My parents told us that we were caroling...so we went up to the door without question, sang a few songs, and a woman came to the door.  She talked for a while and then asked if we wanted to see the new kittens in the barn...of course we did...we went to the barn and they were so tiny!  There were probably five or six and they were all wild!  And all were grey or black except one...there was one orange, long-haired one.  I picked him up and nuzzled him close to my face.  I looked up at my mom and smiled.  She said, "Happy Birthday Melodie."  I couldn't believe it!  I had wanted my own cat for a long time...since Bethany claimed Steppy as "her cat."  So, in the car ride home, in the back of the station wagon, I named him Fluffy Basketball...yes, you read that correctly...and he was my cat for 13 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment