From a song we are singing this coming Sunday...
"And before my head agrees, my heart is on its knees. Holy is he. Blessed am I."
God sent Jesus with a promise....God with us. In our groggy mornings, in the breath-taking deep blue grey of the mountains, in the sugar-crazed energy of hundreds of kids at school, in the still moments right before we fall asleep at night, in the dreams we dream each night...this is how I have come to perceive Immanuel in my almost 31 years, but today I got an eye exam...and I see it a little more clearly.
Mary began to understand this concept of Immanuel when the angel told her she would deliver God's son...God was truly with Mary. Mary carried God with her, deep within her...he took form inside her. Her heart knew the answer before her head could grasp what was happening. Her heart cried out, "Yes! God with us!"
We have the opportunity for God to take residence within us...the truth of God with us. Some of us have answered the angel's voice with a Yes, but we haven't allowed the fullness of God to develop within us. Immanuel--God with us, not just walking alongside us, but truly with us, in us, being formed within us, and in turn, forming us.
No comments:
Post a Comment