Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Watchfulness

So, Sunday's lesson was about the concept of "watchfulness."  The writer correlated the two comings of the Savior...I was having trouble comparing the two that morning, but since have had some thoughts...are you surprised?  Ha.

I am a teacher.  Most of you know that teaching was something I stumbled into...first as a preschool teacher.  I was thinking yesterday about watching my class....20 four and five year olds every day.  Talk about watchfulness...I had to be like a hawk.  On the playground it was next to impossible to keep track of all my kids.  All the sudden, I would look and see two boys, one in a headlock, the other chunking wood chips at the other.  So, watchfulness to me is being aware...of taking into account multiple factors at one time.  I feel like this is what God tells us to do.  And I feel like we've missed the mark.  We want a formula.  We want the watchfulness to follow a set of rules, guidelines, and steps.  

Think about it.  Mary was engaged to be married.  An angel appeared to her.  Elizabeth was like 90 years old and became pregnant with John.  The shepherds were minding their own business, tending their sheep, and bam!  The Savior of the World is in Bethlehem, not far from here...you might want to go check it out!  When God comes, it is not with a formula, or with expected timing.  

Whether thinking about the first time God entered the world, or when God will come again, we must prepare ourselves...and prepare the way.  That means living the kingdom here, on this earth...creating kingdom where you are.  And all the while, having a sense of watchfulness....of looking, being aware of those around you that need a kind word or a smile, of being in tune with how God has already come.

God has come.  God will come again.  God comes even now.  Have you looked for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment