Last night, I babysat for some dear friends...we ended up going over to their grandmother's house for them to spend the night...the youngest is 2 years old and she was so excited to see her new cousin! Upon seeing her, she yelled "Ellie!!!" and her face lit up. I'm pretty sure she would be content to "hold" that baby for Christmas...oh the subtle reminders of what is important...and children will lead the way to Christ. As I stood in their grandmother's kitchen, which I have done countless times, I looked over at the Christmas tree. It was gorgeous...full of white lights...glowing. I had this overwhelming feeling of light...of thankfulness...these people love me. I love them. I am given the privilege of caring for their children and grandchildren...they entrust me with their care.
We moved around a lot when I was growing up...the curse of the minister's family...but it wasn't a curse...it taught me how to meet people, adjust, be flexible...and it taught me what a true home is. Home is not a place...yes, there is sentiment attached to certain places and memories follow every place. But, home is our responsibility...we create it wherever we are. Just as Jesus travelled and invited others to join him in doing good, we must do that for others. And in so doing, we experience home...a sense of belonging, a security...challenging ourselves and each other to be better.
In that kitchen, I realized how bright my life is...because of the people God has allowed me to be home to...and who have invited me home in so many ways. We all belong to each other...have you invited anyone in lately?
No comments:
Post a Comment