Most of you know that I was born on Christmas Day...more years ago than I care to admit now...and it was definitely a surprise to my parents who expected my arrival in February. I wonder if Jesus was a premie? Had Mary's nine months come to an end? Or did God surprise her and the rest of the world with an early arrival? My mom wasn't prepared for me...but obviously, I came. The world wasn't prepared for Jesus to come as he did, but he came. He still comes, whether we are prepared or not.
But, as in the birth of any child, my mom experienced a gift like no other...of a child...of her own flesh...but also not of herself...
How much more did Mary experience as she carried the Son of God in her womb and then gave birth to him? Of herself, but of God? Blows my mind...
Christmas has always been a special holiday for my family...joy has always been an element present in our family around this season. As a child, it was always busy...Daddy was preparing for the Christmas cantatas, Mama was cooking, groups at church were preparing gifts for families, and on and on. In all of this busy-ness, Mama and Daddy started traditions which have become central to my recollections of the season.
I don't remember my first Christmas of course...we have many traditions...we open gifts from siblings on Christmas Eve...we eat crab stew and broccoli cornbread on Christmas Eve because that's what my mom had when she went into labor with me...and for many years we went to people's houses as a family to carol outside their doors on Christmas Eve. Sometimes, the "kids" went reluctantly, but we always ended up with bright smiles on our faces after seeing what a few songs and blended voices did for the people to whom we sang.
I was teaching Preschool Choir the other night...can't get away from those 4 and 5 year olds....I read a story about a college student who went to Senegal and painted the Bible stories that were told to women in a small group. I told the kids...God can use whatever you're good at to tell others how much Jesus loves them...not everyone is a painter or singer, but God can use so many things--there was a doctor in the room, a teacher, and much more.
Today, I thought about my little voice and how my parents taught me from a very early age to use it for God's glory. I've come a long way since my first Christmas carol "Away in a Manger" that never was sung to the congregation when I was three years old. It was never about the "audience," but about the few that received our sincere gifts that brought joy, not only to them, but to a small family practicing the art of tradition. And aren't the gifts that we have received the most joy from ones that seemed small at the time? A baby doll, a note from a friend, a pie prepared especially for us, a kind word, a warm hug...these are the things that make up a rich life....a baby boy born so long ago...may we not lose sight of these precious gifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment