This morning was rushed...I couldn't get ready fast enough, I had to get gas before leaving town, and I took my vitamin before I ate breakfast...big mistake...makes me feel nauseous...bluh. So, I was fighting all of this on my way to work and still trying to still my mind and my stomach. The song "A Baby Changes Everything" came on and that did it...well, at least for my mind.
Part of the song says,
"Teenage girl, much too young
Unprepared for what's to come
A baby changes everything
Not a ring on her hand
All her dreams and all her plans
A baby changes everything."
Now, I'm not a mother...but, I have been privileged to be a part of welcoming many "first" babies into the lives of my friends in the past few years. Babies do change everything--guitars are put away, toys take over living rooms, rooms are converted by cribs and soft pastels, dads become mush, parents become sleep deprived, and on and on...life changes when a baby comes. New life demands change...there's no other option as we accept the new.
Mary's life was turned upside down by the birth of the Christ child...but not just because she birthed Jesus, but because she became a mother for the first time. And, allow me some freedom of speculation here, but I think that, even though there were surprises, uncertainty, and all that comes with being a first time mom, there was also the realization of a dream--to be a mother. Who she was as a woman came to fruition as she birthed her first baby. Isn't that beautiful in its simplicity? A baby changes everything....in a way that deepens a life well lived and purposes fulfilled.
No comments:
Post a Comment